Saturday, February 07, 2009

The darkest day since I have been to London

The darkest day since I have been to London

I had the first class in the MA International Relations Course on 2nd February, 2009 from 13h00 until 17h00, then another class at 18h00 until 21h00. I wanted to try all possible options before deciding which modules would be taken this semester. I was ready for the class, but in the morning, I was busy writing a letter to my course leader, Prof. Mike Newman, therefore, when I was aware of the time, I thought I would be late for the class. So I rushed out although there was so heavy snow outside that no bus ran in the street.

As usual, I took on train to Straford station and then, another train to Highbury Islington. I saw the map in the student handbook and decided to take off the train in Canonbury station to shortcut to the class which was organised in Ladbroke House in Highbury Grove. I walked almost 2 km from the station to the Ladbroke House in order to attend the class in time. In fact, I was nearly 30 minutes late, but to my surprise, there was only on person in the classroom who you could guess was the module leader, Dr. Colin Meade. He and I introduced with each other and He suggested that I needed an international law book to read in order to get some general ideas about the subject we would study: The legal regulation of conflict. Then, we, I meant the class, dismissed.

I went on walking to the university to attend the evening class as I supposed without realizing that the University was closing because of the adverse weather which caused transportation delays in London. I walked more than 3 km to the University to do nothing. Then, I caught a Piccadilly line train from Holloway Road station to King's Cross station with a hope that I would take on a Hammersmith train to Bow Road station. It took me long time waiting in King's Cross station before I realized that there was no train in Hammersmith line. Therefore, I caught a Central line train to Mile End station, then a district line to Bow Road station. It was a long waiting in Mile End station. When I reached Bow Road station and walked more than 1 km to Bow Church station, it was late afternoon.

I was not fortunate enough as the train to Lewisham which called on my All Saints station did not stop until It reached Poplar station. I was forced to catch an opposite train to come back, but again, it did not stop at All Saints station. Therefore, again I had to walk back nearly 3 km to my flat under the snowing weather. It was the first day of my MA International Relations Course, but the darkest day since I have been to London.

No comments:

Post a Comment