Saturday, January 24, 2009

Another experience in banking transaction


The UK looks as extremely old as its conservative and stunted way of doing business!


Here is another humorous story of mine. It took place on 22nd January 2009 when I went to Highbury Corner branch of Lloyds TSB to continue my humorous story about OPENING A BANK ACCOUNT in the UK. It was really an adventure from North to East of London, namely a North-to-East trip in London. I started another banking transaction in the UK with a Lloyds TSB branch near my university with less confidence. I was asked to go to a small room to discuss what I and the bank would do then.

A gentleman received me in the room. It was different from the atmosphere I had experienced before when I first tried to open a bank account. It was a comfortable and happy climate for people to do business. I thought this type of doing business was very good for the old and conservative UK. What we did there was chatting and doing business as friendly as possible. The difficulty in our transaction was about my name, exactly how to write my name correctly. I submitted my second letter to the bank staff in which my name was written in Vietnamese way. He saw my name, asked me which was my family name. Then he wanted to make sure that I understood his requirement by asking me about my brother's name. "NGUYEN NHU DAT" - I answered and wrote the name. He saw it and looked back to mine. He was a bit confused, he said to me.

Then, I understood his confusion and told him about my case and the first letter with my name written in English way, but it was not accepted and I was requested to bring another letter of introduction. I told him that I had to request a University staff to change my name in the computer system in Vietnamese way as mentioned above. To my surprise, he asked me to give him the first letter in place of the second. He got the letter with a pleasure and stated that it was exactly what he was looking for - a letter with my name written in English way. It was a very simple and easy request for me. I said if I got to know him before, I would have not faced any difficulties and my bank account might have been opened for a week. It was the most stupid story I have ever witnessed in my life and of course, it was very humorous, isn't it? I hope there will be a change in the UK, especially a strong change in the way of doing business, starting from BANKING.

2 comments:

  1. it's interesting! maybe i have to do more research before opening a bank account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you were quite fortunate to have been given such a personal service. I've never had such a thing!

    ReplyDelete